We absolutely respect your right to privacy. Our overall aim is to ensure that our collection and use of personal data is appropriate to the provision of services to you and our clients and is in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
• Who we are
• The personal data we collect about you
• How we store, use and share your personal data for our core business
• How we might otherwise share your personal data and who we share it with
• International transfers
• Data Retention
• Your rights
• Applying for a job at The Original Cottage Company
• Third party sites
• Complaints, questions and suggestions
[return to top]
Who we are
[return to top]
The personal data we collect about you
If you are seeking to rent the Annex or to obtain details about a potential holiday, we will usually collect the minimum information required to fulfil your needs. This will likely include your name, contact details, payment details, date of birth, details of other members of your party plus information on your specific requirements in order to customise your holiday and deliver your specific requirements.
If you sign up to join our mailing list we will collect your name and email address, together with your consent to receive communications from us. This consent can be removed at any time simply by using the unsubscribe button on any of our email communications.
How we store, use and share your personal data
We collect, store and use your personal details as outlined above for our legitimate business interests, so that we can fulfill both your immediate and any potential future holiday booking or enquiry needs. This storage and use of your personal data allows you to be contacted about your current booking or enquiry. This also includes feedback you give us about the Annex.
If you have booked a holiday with us and/or sign up for our newsletter, you will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or purchased goods or services from us and, in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
We collect, store and use the personal data of people visiting our website for the following purposes:
• to make the site available to you; and
• to provide any services that you request.
Sometimes, our use of your personal data is for purposes which are ancillary to the provision of the sites and services, or which are desirable in order to make them to operate more effectively.
The relevant circumstances are:
• detecting and preventing fraud;
• keeping our websites, apps, products and IT systems secure;
• ensuring that our own processes, procedures and systems are as efficient as possible;
• analysing and enhancing the information that we collect;
• determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and advertising.
We also collect anonymised details about visitors to our websites for the purposes of generating site statistics, reporting purposes or improving our website and marketing effectiveness. However, no single individual will be identifiable from the anonymised details we collect for these purposes.
How we might otherwise share your personal data and who we share it with.
We will disclose information under the following circumstances:
◦ IT support service providers;
◦ third-party service providers who track our customers' use of the sites and our services for us.
◦ other third-parties who we may need to work with to deliver services and/or facilitate your booking and holiday (including any holiday extras), for example, providers of property management services (including, but not limited to, housekeeping, property maintenance etc).
These third-parties are contracted to use your personal data only as necessary to provide the relevant services to us and are required to maintain full security and confidentiality.
In some, relatively limited, circumstances we need to handle your personal data in a certain way to be able to comply with our legal obligations – for example: if we are requested to disclose your personal data to regulatory bodies or if we need to demonstrate our compliance with applicable law such as any tax and national insurance legislation relating to the payment of personal service company contractors and immigration law.
Technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by us and our affiliates, or analytics or service providers. These technologies are used in analysing trends, administering the sites, tracking users’ movements around the sites and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
We employ reasonable and appropriate security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of the personal data we process. Please note that no transmission over the Internet can ever be guaranteed secure and as a consequence please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data that you transfer over the Internet to us.
We retain information (including personal data) for the minimum reasonable time period to allow us to provide our services and will delete it after that time. The only exceptions are in cases where we need to keep limited personal data to comply with our legal obligations, resolve ongoing disputes, or enforce our agreements.
Should you require more detail about our retention timescales for a specific category of data or information please contact us at email@example.com
You have certain rights in relation to your personal data. If you would like further information in relation to these or would like to exercise any of them, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time. You have the right to request that we:
• provide access to any personal data we hold about you;
• update any of your personal data which is out of date or incorrect;
• delete any personal data which we are holding about you;
• restrict the way that we process your personal data;
• prevent the processing of your personal data for direct-marketing purposes;
• provide your personal data to a third-party provider of services;
• provide you with a copy of any personal data which we hold about you; or
• consider any valid objections which you have to our use of your personal data.
We will consider all such requests and provide our response within a reasonable period (and in any event within any time period required by applicable law). Please note, however, that certain personal data may be exempt from such requests in certain circumstances.
If an exception applies, we will tell you this when responding to your request. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to any request you make.
Third party sites
Complaints, questions and suggestions
If you are not happy with any aspect of how I collect your data, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would be immensely grateful if you could contact us first so that we can try to resolve it for you. Click here to go to the contact uspage to send us a message.
In the EEA, you may also make a complaint to our supervisory body for data protection matters (the Information Commissioner's Office in the UK) or seek a remedy through local courts if you believe your rights have been breached.